Monday, July 27, 2009

Camping for Dummies

I annually torture my friends by organizing camping trips in mid-November. The nights are brutally cold (especially when you have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night), the days are spent collecting & chopping wood, and washing dishes couldn't be anymore hand numbing. I was recently invited to go camping in the unthought of season of Summer. I had my reservations - I'd gone "cabining" at Sebago Cabins a couple of years ago in May and we were plagued by mosquitoes and gnats. We camped at Mongaup Pond in Livingston Manor in Upstate NY and it was a nice change of pace compared to our old campsite (Clarence Fahnestock State Park in Carmel, NY). The campsite was lakeside, had showers (a first for me), and they had canoes/kayaks/rowboats rentals available. We went with a friend's family who have been camping for 20 years. They came with a pop-up trailer (which proved invaluable in the rain) and set up an impressive kitchen stadium area with a huge grill and numerous burners. The menu featured raviolis with meat sauce, ribs, sausage, lamb, and french toast on the last day. The thing that I enjoyed the most was that their entire family was present: from pets to kids to grandparents. Now, I'm trying to organize a family camping trip - let's hope my power of persuasion works.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: