Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Best Thing I Ever Ate: Oysters @ Aqua Grill (210 Spring Street, New York, NY 10012)

Prior to my "Oyster Renaissance", I've only had oysters a few times in my life (and each time it felt like I ate the bottom of the ocean floor).  It brought me back to my early childhood when I was forced to go with my mother to the women's room at the beach (that Fulton Fish Market smell completely traumatized me).  Anyway, my "Oyster Renaissance" happened after a trip to Montauk, NY in the early summer.  My girlfriend ordered a dozen Blue Points and I hesitantly dug in - the secret was in the condiments: a little squeezed lemon, cocktail sauce, and horseradish.  After that, I ordered oysters everywhere - I couldn't get enough of that "raw and shouldn't be doing this" feeling.  The absolute best (and I mean the best) place for oysters is Aqua Grill.  No other place compares in variety (over 30 different oysters) and freshness.  My favorites have been Blue Point, Kumomoto, Peconic Bay, Moonstone Belon, and Raspberry Point.  Go and order a mixed 2 dozen for yourself and you be the judge.                    

Bookmark and Share

No comments: