Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Roast Duck with Peach Balsamic Glaze

 
If I see duck on a menu, its one of a handful of things that I zero in on (chorizo, pancetta/pork belly, poached eggs, truffle, and mac & cheese are others).  I read a few recipes and combined aspects of each: I brined it over night, blasted it with heat at 425 degrees for 30 minutes to crisp the skin, roasted it for an hour and 45 minutes at 350 degrees (flipping it twice), and brushed it with a peach juice (1/2 cup) / balsamic vinegar (1/4 cup) / honey (1 tbsp) mixture. Ducks are fatty animals, so be sure to put potatoes under it to soak up their delicious fat (I added potatoes, mushrooms, and garlic with a 1 hour and 15 minutes left).  I personally hate roasting whole birds (somehow I make great turkeys) - but chickens, hens, and ducks don't seem to yield enough viable meat.  I'll try my hand at duck breasts next.       
Bookmark and Share

No comments: