Monday, October 13, 2008

Body of Lies

I was bored on Saturday and decided to go to my favorite mall (Palisades Center Mall) for dinner and a movie. I saw Body of Lies with Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe - you can't really go wrong with either actor. The movie follows DiCaprio as a C.I.A. operative who tries to take out a terrorist network with the help of his boss (Crowe) and local intelligence authorities. DiCaprio gets caught between his boss' need for immediate results, double crossing allies, and everyone looking out for their own self interests. Sound familiar?

After the movie, I went to The Cheesecake Factory and was shocked at the 45-60 minute wait at 8pm. No problem (I was feening Farfalle with Chicken and Craig's Crazy Carrotcake Cheesecake). I stood in the waiting area and patiently waited for the pager to summon me. The place was packed with people with shopping bags and I saw 6 pregnant women during my 40 minute wait (counting pregnant women became a game and helped pass the time). So I wondered....is the U.S. economy really doing badly? Is consumer spending an indicator of recovery? Then I noticed that everyone was paying with credit cards. The same credit cards backed by banks that can barely loan money to one another. I used my credit card as well, but I carry a zero balance and use it to accumulate reward points. I learned my lesson when I had $25,000 in credit card debt and $25,000 in student loans when I graduated from college. I was disciplined enough to get out of debt, but I wondered how many people were paying the minimum, not scaling back on their lifestyles, and living a Body of Lies....


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wont comment on the movie bc i havent seen it nor on the prgnant fems you saw.... or on the economy right now....

However I will say this........ THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY........OMG I LOVE THAT PACE... ITS THE BEST........ I JUST LOVE THE ORIGINAL CHEESECAKE. :) AND THIER PISCO SOUR... YUMMY........ MAYBE YOU SHOULD COME HERE A WEEKEND AND WE CAN GO YAY!!!!!!