Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pumpkin Soup Recipe

I first had pumpkin soup at my uncle's house for Thanksgiving. He got the recipe from Food Network's Rachel Ray (who I've never liked or respected - her voice and non-creativity kill me). I was never a "soup person" but this soup is to die for - I've even taken the liberty of playing with the ratios (I add more pumpkin puree for thickness, add more hot sauce/pepper, and alternate a red onion instead of 2 stalks of celery). Enjoy and try not to be a soup nazi.

Ingredients
1 - Yellow Onion
1 - Red Onion
160z - Heavy Cream
48oz - Trader Joe's Chicken Broth
2 - Cans of Pumpkin Puree (15oz each)
1 Tablespoon - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons - Butter
2 Teaspoons - Poultry Seasoning
3 Tablespoons - All-Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons - Hot Sauce
12 - Martin's Potato Bread Dinner Rolls
Salt and Pepper

1) Heat a medium soup pot over medium to medium high heat.
2) Add the oil and melt the butter.
3) Add the onions, season them with salt and pepper in the pot, and cook 6 or 7 minutes until tender.
4) Add flour, poultry seasoning, and hot sauce.
5) Pour in chicken broth and bring liquid to a bubble.
6) Add pumpkin in large spoonfuls to incorporate it into the broth.
7) Simmer soup 10 minutes to thicken a bit and then add heavy cream.
8) Reduce heat to low and keep warm until ready to serve.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: